Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Unit 2 Half-Way Blog


Coming into Unit 2 we were informed that we will be completing a project on genre juxtaposition and how it affects certain genres. I had no idea what genre juxtaposition was.  After my instructor introduced exactly what it was and gave us examples I thought how interesting this unit will be. For example post-it notes. When you think of post-it notes you think of short statements, incomplete sentences, personal, and somewhere private you will look. In terms of genre juxtaposition if we changed one of these standards such as posting these post-it notes in public places or writing an essay on them how would people react? This also ties into when we talked about “correct” or Standard English. Standard English is a set of rules that are passed down year after year that alters the way we view writing. After reading an article by Autumn Jackson I learned that just because many people follow certain rules when it comes to writing doesn’t mean that it is necessarily correct. I also learned that sometimes it’s best to stick to what society has named Standard English, but there are certain genres where it’s alright to put your own style and personality in your writing. For this unit we will be working in groups I wasn’t thrilled about this at first. After meeting with my group and brainstorming ideas I felt more open to the idea. I realized that I have to be open-minded because they will rely on me as well as me rely on them to complete the task at hand. The first day we started working in our groups I referred to everything as my work instead of our work. As my instructor helped me realize this I quickly made sure that I include my group members when speaking. Last but not least, the purpose of this unit is to see how people react to things they wouldn’t normally see and I am excited to come up with a specific genre and start conducted research and see if my prediction of the outcome will be the same as the actual outcome.

1 comment:

  1. I like that you note your struggles with group work here. I, too, have struggled with working with others in school (and just doing the work myself). However, this is a good skill to learn and this type of project begs for group work. This concept of group work will also carry over into the next unit, emphasizing this writing as a collaborative/team type of event.

    I am curious from reading your blog about a few things: How did you feel about doing writing research? How did you go about first writing that research proposal? Where do you see this project going?

    ReplyDelete